lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Andi Vajda <a...@osafoundation.org>
Subject DbDirectory and compound files
Date Sat, 25 Sep 2004 19:13:23 GMT

The compound file storage implementation that became the default with Lucene
1.4 seems to not work so well with the Berkeley DB-based implementation of
org.apache.lucene.store.Directory I submitted to the sandbox about 9 months
ago. Even though this implementation, org.apache.lucene.store.db.DbDirectory,
and its related classes are still exact as far as the interface defined by
Directory and its related classes are concerned, there seems to be
some apparently random failures that I'm thinking are related to implied flush
semantics.

I haven't looked into this any further yet as I'm wondering what sense using
this compound file storage feature makes when using Berkeley DB storage since,
in a way, Berkeley DB files are compound files themselves.

The obvious workaround is to call IndexWriter.setUseCompoundFiles(False) but
this workaround needs to be documented to be effective.

So, my question: why is the compound file storage implemented in such an
orthogonal to Directory way instead of just being another Directory
implementation called FSCompoundFileDirectory ?

Andi..