lucene-dev mailing list archives

From "Yussef Alkhamrichi" <yalkhamri...@hotmail.com>
Subject RE: lucene.net no more?
Date Wed, 15 Sep 2004 07:59:27 GMT
Hi Doug,

I've noticed the same odd thing, me and a couple of guys were heaving a
discussion in de Open Discussion of Lucene.NET to re-establish a decent up
to date .NET port of Lucene when suddenly all plugs were pulled out (no
files released any more, no open discussion, etc.)

Last night I've send a mail to all people involved (4 in total, George
-http://www.aroush.net-, Mohammad -http://mohammad.abdulfatah.net/-, Mansur
and me). The idea is to get a Lucene port in sync with the Java version and
get a decent community support behind (not restricting the people that can
co-develop to a mere 1 or 2 in-crowd). An open source product is only as
good as its community I guess.

I find it a strange move from de Lucene.NET guys
(http://www.lucenedotnet.com), ofcourse they have put in a lot of effort to
port the thing and it's quite possible to earn money with it. But were did
they get the code from in the first place ?!?! (Under the Apache License).

The main target for the .NET porters is now to get a SourceForge workspace
to continue the .NET port of Lucene. Mohammed is contacting the developers
of NLucene and see if we can work something out together to use their space
and name for the real open source .NET brother (or sister:) of the Java
Lucene version.

We hope we can tell you more shortly. Keep up the great work you all have
done with Lucene so far!

Yussef