lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Christoph Goller <gol...@detego-software.de>
Subject Re: Lucene 1.4.2?
Date Fri, 01 Oct 2004 10:07:30 GMT
Christoph Goller wrote:
> Doug Cutting wrote:
>
>> Christoph Goller wrote:
>>
>>> I'd like the changes on FuzzyQuery, PhraseQuery, and PhrasePrefixQuery
>>> included in the branch. Any objections?
>>

>> I'm okay with these, but the primary purpose of 1.4.2 should be to
>> stabilize things, not to add new features.  So let's be very selective
>> about what we add, and scrutinize changes carefully so we don't
>> introduce new bugs.  Are you confident that these are "safe" changes?
>

> Yes, I am.
>

>> If we agree to let a *few* features in, then I vote for my
>> optimization to IndexSearcher.  Of all the optimizations I made
>> recently, the single biggest performance improvement was to avoid
>> allocating a new ScoreDoc for every non-zero score in
>> IndexSearcher.search(Query,Filter,int).  I think this is safe.  Are
>> there any concerns about putting this optimization into 1.4.2?
>

> Yes, I am also 100% sure that this optimization is safe. I would never
> have guessed that calling the constructor there could make such a
> difference.
>
> I looked through the list of changes since 1.4.1 and think the following
> items
> should be considered for 1.4.2:
>
> 2, 4, 5, 9, 10, 13, 16, 17
>
> The following items from my list are enhancements, not bug fixes:
>
> 2, 9 (FuzzyQuery, PhraseQuery, and PhrasePrefixQuery)
> 5 (peak disk requirements during indexing)
> 16 (your optimization)

I committed items 2, 9, and 10.
2 and 9 are my (and Daniel's) query extensions. I am 100% sure they
are correct. 10 is about a bug in QueryParser and some minor
QueryParser extensions that I did not want to pick apart from the
bug fix.

Items 4 and 5 don't seem that important to me. As far as I am
concerned we can leave them out. So the only thing missing is your
optimization. Then 1.4.2 should be ready.

Christoph