lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Christoph Goller <gol...@detego-software.de>
Subject Re: Lucene 1.4.2?
Date Thu, 30 Sep 2004 16:36:51 GMT
Doug Cutting wrote:
> Christoph Goller wrote:
>
>> I'd like the changes on FuzzyQuery, PhraseQuery, and PhrasePrefixQuery
>> included in the branch. Any objections?
>

> I'm okay with these, but the primary purpose of 1.4.2 should be to
> stabilize things, not to add new features.  So let's be very selective
> about what we add, and scrutinize changes carefully so we don't
> introduce new bugs.  Are you confident that these are "safe" changes?

Yes, I am.

> If we agree to let a *few* features in, then I vote for my optimization
> to IndexSearcher.  Of all the optimizations I made recently, the single
> biggest performance improvement was to avoid allocating a new ScoreDoc
> for every non-zero score in IndexSearcher.search(Query,Filter,int).  I
> think this is safe.  Are there any concerns about putting this
> optimization into 1.4.2?

Yes, I am also 100% sure that this optimization is safe. I would never
have guessed that calling the constructor there could make such a difference.

I looked through the list of changes since 1.4.1 and think the following items
should be considered for 1.4.2:

2, 4, 5, 9, 10, 13, 16, 17

The following items from my list are enhancements, not bug fixes:

2, 9 (FuzzyQuery, PhraseQuery, and PhrasePrefixQuery)
5 (peak disk requirements during indexing)
16 (your optimization)

Christoph