lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: DbDirectory and compound files
Date Wed, 29 Sep 2004 19:39:11 GMT
Andi Vajda wrote:
> So, my question: why is the compound file storage implemented in such an
> orthogonal to Directory way instead of just being another Directory
> implementation called FSCompoundFileDirectory ?

To combine the files of a segment we need to know when the segment was
complete.  So a method would need to be added to Directory to instruct
it when to combine files.  And then the Directory would need to be able
to locate files within the combined file in order to open them.

It would be a shame to re-invent this logic for each Directory
implementation, so the indexing code has a generic implementation
layered on top of Directory.  Does that make sense?

Doug