lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-lucene/src/java/org/apache/lucene/store MMapDirectory.java
Date Tue, 28 Sep 2004 22:00:48 GMT
cutting@apache.org wrote:
>   Added:       src/java/org/apache/lucene/store MMapDirectory.java
>   Log:
>   Add an nio mmap based Directory implementation.

For my simple benchmarks this is somewhat slower than the classic
FSDirectory, but I thought it was still worth having.  It should use
less memory when there are lots of query terms, since it does not need
to allocate a new buffer per term and the mmapped data can be shared.
This may be good for folks who, e.g., use lots of wildcards.  It also
should, in theory, someday be faster.  One downside is that it cannot
handle indexes with files larger than 2^31 bytes.

Doug