lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Date Thu, 16 Sep 2004 21:28:17 GMT
I replaced InputStream with IndexInput and BufferedIndexInput, so
buffering is now optional.  InputStream is now deprecated and one can
also now subclass FSDirectory.

Still to do:

   1. Replace OutputStream with IndexOutput and BufferedIndexOutput.
This is not critical and mostly for consistency, as mmap makes more
sense for read-only data.
   2. Update RAMDirectory and FSDirectory to no longer use deprecated
classes.  This is done last, to make sure that the earlier steps to not
break back-compatibility for existing Directory implementations.

Also, I've implemented an mmap-based subclass of FSDirectory in C++
using GCJ.  Any objections to checking this in under src/gcj?  It's not
yet much faster than the pure Java implementation, but perhaps it can be
made faster, and it also provides an example of how to extend Lucene
with C++ in GCJ, which might eventually lead to some big speedups.

Doug