lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Christoph Goller <>
Subject Re: Lock handling and Lucene 1.9 / 2.0
Date Tue, 14 Sep 2004 10:28:38 GMT
Konstantin Priblouda wrote:
>>I have to admit that I am not an expert in j2ee
>>compliancy. But I would like
>>to learn about it. If a database (I consder Lucene
>>as a database) really has
>>to be initialized for every read-access, than there
>>is a problem with j2ee
>>compliancy. I cannot believe that this is really
> I'm not so considered about j2ee compliance, but
> using file system locks is quite uncool...
>>LET ME STATE AGAIN: You should not open a new
>>IndexReader for every
>>search/query. If you do so you definitely have a
>>performance problem
>>independently from synchronization!!!!!!!!! Opening
>>an IndexReader is
>>much more expensive than any individual
> You suppose that I open index reader  (webapp)wide?
> One per session? Coud it be shared between concurent
> requests?  If not - only way is to open it for
> request...

It has to be shared between requests. Anything else
cannot be efficient. We are using a server process
that accepts requests vi xml/rpc. Note that IndexReader is
thread-safe and may be used by many requests either sequentially
or concurrently.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message