lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Christoph Goller <gol...@detego-software.de>
Subject Re: Lock handling and Lucene 1.9 / 2.0
Date Mon, 13 Sep 2004 08:26:16 GMT
Pete Lewis wrote:
> Hi all
>
> IndexReader has to obtain a transitory exclusive readlock on a library. This is fine,
and results in the short lived commit.lock file. However, if multiple instantiations of LUCENE
IndexReaders are used over a *single* shared library source (multiple libraries, single root)
a spin can occur where multiple IndexReaders sit in 1 second waits. This can be addressed
by removing the need for an exclusive readlock in the IndexReader - is this to be addressed
for 1.4/1.9?

Hi Pete,

I do not understand the problem you are describing.
What do you mean by a spin?

The only problem I currently see is that if you open multiple
readers at the same time and if opening takes a long time you
could get a timeout IOException for some of the readers.

Note that the short living commit lock is further used to
commit changes to an index with either an IndexReader or
an IndexWriter. Therefore I think it has to be exclusive.

Christoph