lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Christoph Goller <gol...@detego-software.de>
Subject Re: API cleanup for Field
Date Thu, 02 Sep 2004 08:56:24 GMT
Daniel Naber wrote:
> On Wednesday 01 September 2004 21:55, Doug Cutting wrote:
>

>>That's right.  In particular I think we'll need:
>>
>>  public Field(String, Reader, Index); // Reader is never stored
>

> Actually you'll also get an exception when you try to index the field
> UN_TOKENIZED. I didn't check what exactly happens in that case, for now I
> just left out the "Index" parameter, too (i.e. default to TOKENIZE).

A field with Reader value cannot be stored, as Doug said, since some
Readers (e.g. PipedReader) do not support reset and FieldsWriter would
consume such a Reader in order to store the field. After storing, indexing
would then no longer be possible.

DocumentWriter could probably be changed to allow UN_TOKENIZED fields
with ReaderValue, but that's probably not necesary, since a ReaderValue
is something supposed to be quite long and so not tokenizing it does not
make much sense.

Internally Field still uses the boolean values isStored, isIndexed,
isTokenized, and storeTermVector. And there are public getters for them.
Shouldn't we substitute them totally with the respective enums?

Christoph