lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Konstantin Priblouda <kpriblo...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Lock handling and Lucene 1.9 / 2.0
Date Tue, 14 Sep 2004 10:47:07 GMT

--- Christoph Goller <goller@detego-software.de>
wrote:

> Konstantin Priblouda wrote:
> >>I have to admit that I am not an expert in j2ee
> >>compliancy. But I would like
> >>to learn about it. If a database (I consder Lucene
> >>as a database) really has
> >>to be initialized for every read-access, than
> there
> >>is a problem with j2ee
> >>compliancy. I cannot believe that this is really
> >>true.
> >

> > I'm not so considered about j2ee compliance, but
> > using file system locks is quite uncool...
> >

> >>LET ME STATE AGAIN: You should not open a new
> >>IndexReader for every
> >>search/query. If you do so you definitely have a
> >>performance problem
> >>independently from synchronization!!!!!!!!!
> Opening
> >>an IndexReader is
> >>much more expensive than any individual
> >>query/search.
> >

> > You suppose that I open index reader
> (webapp)wide?
> > One per session? Coud it be shared between
> concurent
> > requests?  If not - only way is to open it for
> > request...
>
> It has to be shared between requests. Anything else
> cannot be efficient. We are using a server process
> that accepts requests vi xml/rpc. Note that
> IndexReader is
> thread-safe and may be used by many requests either
> sequentially
> or concurrently.

and why constructor IndexReader(Directory)
is protected? Is it really necessary, or it can be
relaxed? Factory methods are uncool.
( it means, if it would be public, then it would be
possible to drop a load of application code
which does not need tests... )

regards,

=====
----[ Konstantin Pribluda ( ko5tik ) ]----------------
Zu Verstärkung meines Teams suche ich ab Sofort einen
Softwareentwickler[In] für die Festanstellung.
Arbeitsort: Mainz
Skills:  Programmieren, Kenntnisse in OpenSource-Bereich