lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Konstantin Priblouda <kpriblo...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Lock handling and Lucene 1.9 / 2.0
Date Tue, 14 Sep 2004 10:14:42 GMT

> I have to admit that I am not an expert in j2ee
> compliancy. But I would like
> to learn about it. If a database (I consder Lucene
> as a database) really has
> to be initialized for every read-access, than there
> is a problem with j2ee
> compliancy. I cannot believe that this is really
> true.

I'm not so considered about j2ee compliance, but
using file system locks is quite uncool...

> LET ME STATE AGAIN: You should not open a new
> IndexReader for every
> search/query. If you do so you definitely have a
> performance problem
> independently from synchronization!!!!!!!!! Opening
> an IndexReader is
> much more expensive than any individual
> query/search.

You suppose that I open index reader  (webapp)wide?
One per session? Coud it be shared between concurent
requests?  If not - only way is to open it for
request...

BTW, I'm using lucene under pico/nanocontainer in web
environment. And unfortunately some components (
especially directory & index reader ) are not friendly
to dependency injection IoC.

Any chance that you provide directories / components
which can be created via constructor?

>From my experience, i can tell that using constructor
injection IoC saves a lot of code dealing with
initialisation & configuration, and also allows you to
be more flexible in development.

I can develop component adapters to provide those
services, but it's kind of uncool...

regards,

=====
----[ Konstantin Pribluda ( ko5tik ) ]----------------
Zu Verstärkung meines Teams suche ich ab Sofort einen
Softwareentwickler[In] für die Festanstellung.
Arbeitsort: Mainz
Skills:  Programmieren, Kenntnisse in OpenSource-Bereich