lucene-dev mailing list archives

From "Pete Lewis" <p...@uptima.co.uk>
Subject Re: Lock handling and Lucene 1.9 / 2.0
Date Wed, 15 Sep 2004 09:58:06 GMT
Hi Doug

Weblogic creates a pool of objects for us which are re-initialised each time
the constructor is called.  Its when we grab an IndexReader out of the pool
that we have the creation of the cache, which is where the spin originates.

Been thinking about your suggestion of a Hashtable (based on library name)
for the storage of IndexReaders, but then we'd get a bottleneck of access -
having a single reader per library means only a single process can access
the library (for reading) at once, and this would create a potential
bottleneck across our servers.  Another way might be to create a pool of
IndexReaders and allocate them on demand, ie 10 IndexReaders per library.
This would allow for 10 synchronous searches with no commit lock spin, but
would be a pain to code.

Probably would be quickest to create a system property that will enable us
to turn on/off the commit lock around the FSDirectory cache creation, so
we'd have them off when we get an IndexReader for just a read but have the
locks on at other times - don't want to disable all locks as our libraries
are dynamic and not static.

Sorry the constructive criticism was off-the-wall but it had made my head
hurt getting to the bottom of where our waits on spin locks had come from
;-)

Cheers

Pete Lewis