lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: API cleanup for Field
Date Mon, 30 Aug 2004 16:34:57 GMT
Daniel Naber wrote:
> here's a patch to clean up the API as described by Doug:
> http://www.mail-archive.com/lucene-user%40jakarta.apache.org/msg08479.html

Daniel,

This looks great!  Thanks for this and all of the other wonderful work
you've done recently for Lucene.

> The static Field.UnStored/Keyword etc methods are not deprecated. I think
> these can be confusing (e.g. what exactly does UnIndexed mean -- I always
> have to look it up), but nobody is forced to use them so there's no reason
> to deprecate them.

If they're confusing and have a less-confusing alternative then we
should eventually remove them from the API, so we should deprecate them
now.  We should move entirely to the new enumeration-based contructors.
  Everything else should be deprecated.

> The only boolean left is the one for term vectors. Should we add another
> enumeration like TermVectorIndex.NO/YES/...? I know that there's a patch
> that adds position information to the term vectors. How does that fit in
> here?

I think we should also add an enumeration for vector indexing.  I like
keeping names shorter when possible, so I'd vote for something like
Field.Vector.YES, and Field.Vector.NO.  This parameter should be
optional, defaulting to Field.Vector.NO.

Thanks again,

Doug