lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: moving the analyzers into sandbox
Date Fri, 20 Aug 2004 20:58:07 GMT
Erik Hatcher wrote:
> On Aug 16, 2004, at 5:15 PM, Daniel Naber wrote:
>
>> On Sunday 15 August 2004 13:42, Otis Gospodnetic wrote:
>>
>>> +1 for releasing at least some Sandbox components.  Analyzers, Snowball
>>> Analyzers and Highligher at least.
>>>
>>> Is this something you can/want to do, Daniel?
>>
>> The analyzers are now in the sandbox, I'll leave it to our ant expert to
>> modify/create the appropriate build.xml for the other components...
>
> What is desired that currently isn't available with the top-level
> contributions directory build.xml?

+1 for releasing the sandbox components with the core.

But how should we do this?  Should we bundle everything into one big
lucene-X.X.tar.gz file?  Or should we have two files,
lucene-core-X.X.tar.gz and lucene-contrib-X.X.tar.gz?  Or should we keep
the contributions each packaged separately, e.g. lucene-core-X.X.tar.gz,
lucene-snowball-X.X.tar.gz, etc.  Or should we put all of the
contributions in a subdirectory, e.g., lucene-X.X.tar.gz,
contrib/lucene-snowball-X.X.tar.gz, etc.  I prefer one of the latter,
but not strongly.

Whatever the case, I think we should have a single command line that
builds both the core and all of the sandbox contributions, runs unit
tests on everything, and places them all in single distribution
directory.  If I'm not mistaken, I think that's the bit of ant wizardry
that Daniel was referring to.

In the end, I think the distinction between core and sandbox should be
less one of quality and more one of packaging.

Doug