lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Naber <>
Subject API cleanup for Field
Date Sat, 28 Aug 2004 13:53:32 GMT

here's a patch to clean up the API as described by Doug:

The Field constructor with three booleans is deprecated because it's too
easy to mix up the order of those parameters. Also, one variation of
Field.Text() is deprecated because it behaves different depending on if
you pass it a String or a StringReader, which is very confusing.

The static Field.UnStored/Keyword etc methods are not deprecated. I think
these can be confusing (e.g. what exactly does UnIndexed mean -- I always
have to look it up), but nobody is forced to use them so there's no reason
to deprecate them.

The only boolean left is the one for term vectors. Should we add another
enumeration like TermVectorIndex.NO/YES/...? I know that there's a patch
that adds position information to the term vectors. How does that fit in

View raw message