lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: FW: Lucene Search has poor cpu utilization on a 4-CPU machine
Date Thu, 15 Jul 2004 16:48:40 GMT
Aviran wrote:
> My test index is pretty small size, about 250 documents and about 24 fields
> in each document.
> The test is done by starting 10 threads that repeat simple one word query
> (each thread query on a different word). Neither range nor wildcard query is
> done.
> I let the test run for about a minute and then I do a full thread dump to
> see the stack trace.
> I use a single searcher which never gets closed.

Thanks for providing these details.

Benchmarking with such a small index will emphasize per-query-term
overheads, like dictionary lookup.  This is probably why you've seen
such a large speedup when removing some thread contention from that
area.  However, folks with larger indexes are much less likely to
encounter this thread contention, since relatively less of their time
will be spent in this area.

Is this benchmark typical of your application?

Doug