lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Christoph Goller <>
Subject Re: release & migration plan
Date Wed, 14 Jul 2004 14:21:52 GMT
A couple of weeks ago Bernhard proposed a patch concerning
the version number of an index. He proposed to initialize
it with the current time in ms. This simple change solves
a problem when an index gets deleted a new index is generated
in the same directory, and an old IndexReader is still existing.
But version number is not a version number any more.
We had a discussion with Dmitry about it and then we proposed
an API change:

*) Keep Bernhard´s initialization of version number
*) Remove (deprecate) static IndexReader.getCurrentVersion() methods
and maybe also lastModified() methods.
*) Introduce a new public non-static IndexReader member function
boolean isCurrent() that is similar to the current aquireLock and checks
whether the IndexReader is still stale ot not.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message