lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: release & migration plan
Date Mon, 12 Jul 2004 17:44:51 GMT
Robert Engels wrote:
> I think the IndexReader and IndexWriter should be interfaces, and change the
> codebase to use the interface where possible.

I agree that IndexReader should be an interface.

I'm less convinced about IndexWriter.  I have a little harder time
imagining alternate, pluggable implementations of IndexWriter.  Perhaps
one would want to write something which uses a different algorithm for
merging indexes?  So then the interface would be addDocument(),
addIndexes(), optimize(), close(), get/setSimilarity and getAnalyzer(),
with the rest of the methods, especially all the new accessors
(getMergeFactor(), getMaxBufferedDocs, etc.) as implementation-specific?
  Is that what you have in mind?

Doug