lucene-dev mailing list archives

From "lingaraju" <lingaraju.shambulinga...@infactindia.com>
Subject updating the index created for database search
Date Mon, 26 Jul 2004 09:37:55 GMT
Dear  All

I need  help  to  update the index created for the database search

I created the index with  three field  mapping to the three column of database(oid(primarykey),title,
contents)
Then I created the document for each row and added to the writer

    doc.add(Field.Keyword("OID",oid+""));
    doc.add(Field.Text("title",title));
    doc.add(Field.Text("contents",contents));
    writer.addDocument(doc);

Here search is only on  title and the contents and oid is the key to retrieve the details
from the database.

Later if the "contents" column in the database is  updated. We have to updated the content
in the index also

If I use the writer with false

IndexWriter writer = new IndexWriter("C\index", new StandardAnalyzer(),false);

then all the record are inserted in to index without deleting the old index causing duplication

If I use the writer with true

IndexWriter writer = new IndexWriter("C\index", new StandardAnalyzer(),false);

then record are inserted in to index deleting all the old index.

My question is
1) How to update the existing index
2) When I fetch the rows from the database in order to update or insert in index how to know
which record is modified in database and which record is not present is index

Thanks is advance
Raju