lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Term vectors: .tvf format question
Date Sat, 12 Jun 2004 16:54:46 GMT
I'm digging deeper into the Lucene index format to develop some higher
level diagrams of its structure.   One thing that is curious to me is
the term text being stored in the .tvf file.  Why not point to the term
dictionary by position somehow and avoid duplicating this string,
saving possibly substantial index size?  I'm assuming this is for
performance reasons.

Note, the Lucene index file formats documentation needs to be updated -
TermText is no longer just a String, it is a <PrefixLength,Suffix>
similar to how terms in the .tis are stored.  I've updated
fileformats.xml/.html - if I've gotten this wrong, let me know.

Just out of curiosity - are there any other known inconsistencies with
the file formats documentation?  I'd be happy to fix them up if there
are any other out of sync issues.  I just happened to spot the one just
mentioned because I looked in the code to see how term vectors were
written when I saw that the term text is duplicated.

	Erik