lucene-dev mailing list archives

From "Jean-Francois Halleux" <halleux...@skynet.be>
Subject RE: suggestions for a student project
Date Thu, 27 May 2004 19:47:46 GMT
I surely for one don't want to rewrite the parser but we have someone
looking for a
student project here :)

There may be good reasons to hand code a parser I guess:

http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-3.4/changes.html

says the C++ parser has been recoded by hand instead of using a parser
generator.

I am not sure at all maintainability would be worse. I have corrected a few
bugs in the current parser two-three months ago and this isn't what you can
call an easy task. Now I agree that correcting a parser or a grammar is
probably never an easy task.

Performance would probably be the same.

Anyway, like you said, a good baseline for a comparison.

-----Original Message-----
From: Brian Goetz [mailto:brian@quiotix.com]
Sent: jeudi 27 mai 2004 21:27
To: Lucene Developers List; halleux.jf@skynet.be
Subject: Re: suggestions for a student project

> Done carefully, could it be worthwile to rewrite it from scratch without a
> parser generator?

I don't think that this would offer any improvement over the current
parser for use in the Lucene project -- the maintainability would be
worse, and the performance would probably be the same (and performacne
of a query parser is almost irrelevant.) That said, if you really
wanted to write a parser, it might be a useful baseline for comparing
a rewritten parser -- the test cases include a number of specimen
queries, so by comparing the results of the existing parser and your
own, it would provide both a good "project target" and a baseline
against which to test compliance.