lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Dmitry Serebrennikov <dmit...@earthlink.net>
Subject Re: suggestions for a student project
Date Thu, 27 May 2004 20:17:40 GMT
jitender ahuja wrote:

>Hi,
>     Can anyone tell that for a masters student's project what should be the areas of
lucene that need to be developed. I am doing the project at an orgn. For that I took the data
from tables and indexed it, but except for own stop words list could do nothing new. Just
using the predefined classes has not interested me. If anyone has ideas about something to
add on to lucene, I would be highly thankful.

>Regards,
>jitender

How about adding binary fields capability to Lucene stored fields? This
could be fun and useful, especially if there is a need for this for the
project you are directly working on.

Myself and Doug have discussed this last week or so on this list, but I
haven't had time to do it and not sure when I might. It should be a
pretty well contained project. The proposed API can be
found in the messages from last week. I think we came up with a
pretty clean solution that would be relatively easy to add to Lucene,
and that will have little or no effect on the existing applications, and
could enable new types of applications, such as encryption and
compression of fields. At some point, perhaps even an index-wide
compression system, akin to a zip file.

Good luck!
Dmitry.