lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: "UnStored" vs "Reader"
Date Sun, 16 May 2004 21:01:41 GMT
On May 16, 2004, at 12:16 AM, jitender ahuja wrote:
>       If there is no difference then is there an underlying basic
> difference
> or just a simple redundancy (both types performing the same job) is
> there? I
> feel that it cann't be a simple redundancy.

I can't help but feel a bit frustrated by this question.  Lucene is
open source, and if you are really curious about the internals, crack
it open and have a look.   Field.java is a pretty simplistic class, and
easy to understand.  The only difference is one take a Reader and the
other a String for the field value - and internally a String is
converted to a StringReader.   So it's not redundant since the input
types are different, but the basic flags set on them are identical.

	Erik