lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Paul <p...@waite.net.nz>
Subject Re: Optimize crash
Date Sat, 08 May 2004 20:50:16 GMT
I'm posting this yet again on behalf of myself and a few other users who have
this serious problem, and who have yet to obtain any assistance on it.

Once again, any help or feedback would be appreciated from you folks who
are using and developing with Lucene, and who may have an idea as to what
on earth is going on here.

If there just isn't enough info, or the question is plain stupid, then please
tell me so. If there is something I need to do in debugging it, to get you
more information, then likewise please suggest the best way forward.

Cheers,
Paul.

The problem I have is that when I try to execute an optimize on my Lucene
index I get the following error thrown (see below).

If anyone can help, and the answer requires some digging, then I have the
very index tarred and gzipped for anon FTP access at ftp.catalyst.net.nz (in
the "pub" sub-directory). This is 462Mb, and unpacks to roughly twice that
size. There is also a README file there.

Here is the error I get very quickly when optimize runs:

--- CUT ---
java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException: 111 >= 23
        at java.util.Vector.elementAt(Vector.java(Compiled Code))
        at
 org.apache.lucene.index.FieldsReader.doc(FieldsReader.java(Compiled Code))
        at
 org.apache.lucene.index.FieldsReader.doc(FieldsReader.java(Compiled Code))
        at
org.apache.lucene.index.SegmentReader.document(SegmentReader.java(Compiled
Code))
        at
org.apache.lucene.index.SegmentMerger.mergeFields(SegmentMerger.java(Compiled
Code))
        at org.apache.lucene.index.SegmentMerger.merge(SegmentMerger.java:92)
        at
org.apache.lucene.index.IndexWriter.mergeSegments(IndexWriter.java:473)
        at org.apache.lucene.index.IndexWriter.optimize(IndexWriter.java:354)
        at nz.net.catalyst.lucene.server.Optimize.execute(Optimize.java:80)
        at nz.net.catalyst.lucene.server.Control.optimize(Control.java:87)
        at nz.net.catalyst.lucene.server.Control.execute(Control.java:49)
        at nz.net.catalyst.lucene.server.Dialogue.process(Dialogue.java:111)
        at
 nz.net.catalyst.lucene.server.Session.communicate(Session.java:125) at
 nz.net.catalyst.SocketClient.run(SocketClient.java:70)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:512)
--- CUT ---

This was actually thrown by Lucene v1.4-rc2, which I was testing to see if it
solved my problem. I am currently running v1.3-Final on my live site and this
does the same thing. This is running on Debian Linux, Woody, and is using the
IBM Runtime Environment for Linux Java(TM) 2 Technology Edition, Version
1.3.1, JRE.

It should be noted that I have had this problem before, and I solved it by
completely re-indexing the article set from scratch (starting with no index
 at all). After that process, the optimize worked fine. Then somewhere along
 the line of many days indexing new articles, and doing an optimise every day
 at about 3.30am, the problem has returned.

The articles being indexed are all homogeneous in terms of fields being
indexed, details below:

FIELD DEFINITIONS
Field name      Field type      Stored?         Indexed?
----------      ----------      -------         --------
Domain          Text            STORED          INDEXED
Id              Id              STORED          INDEXED
date            Date            STORED          INDEXED
datetime        Date            STORED          INDEXED
added           Date            STORED          INDEXED
category        Text            STORED          INDEXED
subcategory     Text            STORED          INDEXED
source          Text            STORED          INDEXED
title           Text            STORED          NOT INDEXED
slug            Text            STORED          NOT INDEXED
type            Text            STORED          NOT INDEXED
sourcetype      Text            NOT STORED      INDEXED

Any help greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Paul.