lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Drew Farris <alfar...@prodigy.net>
Subject Re: stored field compression
Date Sat, 15 May 2004 21:53:12 GMT
On Fri, 2004-05-14 at 19:35, Dmitry Serebrennikov wrote:

> > Sounds like a good plan.  String-values remain as fast as they are,
> > and binary values

> are no slower.  We can easily layer compression,
> > etc. on top of this.
> >
> > Are you volunteering?
>
> :)
> I'm pretty well pressed for time right now, so if someone else can pick
> this up it would probably get done sooner.
> Let me see how my weekend pans out.

Hi All,

I'm new here, so I'm not sure what the proper formalities for doing this
are, but I had some free time today and whipped up a patch that adds
binary value support to Field based on what's been already discussed.

Since its my first contribution ever, if it's not 100% perfect please
forgive, and maybe it will be of some use to Dimitry or anyone else who
was planning on or in the midst of implementing this.

This is not extensively tested, and I was hoping from some guidance from
the other developers in this area. I modified the unit test for Document
to verify it's operation -- are there any others that I should update to
fully test this addition? Are the unit tests sufficient, or should I go
to the extent of building a little app to test this and do some actual
searching?

At any rate, I hope this is useful to some degree. This patch is
performed against today's HEAD. Should I be patching against tagged
releases?

Any critique is welcome.

Drew