lucene-dev mailing list archives

From "O'Hare, Thomas" <toh...@akamai.com>
Subject RE: New site using Lucene - Akamai.com
Date Fri, 23 Apr 2004 20:09:34 GMT
In order to get Lucene to work on Akamai EdgeComputing, I had to make
the following two changes to the
org.apache.lucene.store.FSDirectory.java file. We have a security
manager and policy file or a sandbox running with our JVM which
currently does not allow writing to disk or setting system properties as
well as only reading certain system properties. The index lock does make
sense for our environment since its currently a read-only environment.
However, the code still attempts to create a lock file. Should the API
be modified to allow turning off this functionality?

AKAMAI EDGECOMPUTING CHANGE: hardcoded this flag to true since
EdgeComputing does not allow setting system properties.

private static final boolean DISABLE_LOCKS = true;
// Boolean.getBoolean("disableLuceneLocks") || Constants.JAVA_1_1;

AKAMAI EDGCOMPUTING CHANGE: commented out following code and created
dummy file object since EdgeComputing sandbox does not allow writing to
disk and reading the java.io.tmpdir system property.

//make the lock file in tmp, where anyone can create files.
//final File lockFile = new File(System.getProperty("java.io.tmpdir"),
//                               buf.toString());
final File lockFile = null;

Attached is the file with my changes.

Tom