lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: Fuzzy query with Jaro-Winkler distance
Date Fri, 23 Apr 2004 10:17:49 GMT
On Apr 22, 2004, at 8:37 AM, eks dev wrote:
> Sorry Erik, I did not really get this about
> similarity, what/why should it be done?

We had a brief thread on something related a long while ago... on
whether factors related to scoring should all go through Similarity so
that there is a central place to tweak the factors.  That seems a bit
too inflexible in one sense, but discussing it hopefully at least keep
the complexity understood and perhaps lead to taming it.

> Probably the way this difference is used in the
> similarity calculation could be placed somewhere in
> the Similarity using the other method than setBoost(),
> but actual calculation of the distance is one level
> lower than this. At a moment I have no better ideas
> than to leave this as it is (via setBoost()).

Maybe come up with a FuzzyDistanceCalculator interface with a
difference() method, and we pass that into FuzzyQuery so that it uses a
"dependency injection" pattern allowing the outside world to customize
the computation without having various FuzzyQuery-like cloned classes
to tweak the forumla.

We can still use setBoost - I was merely bringing up Similarity as one
idea of where to allow formula customizations.

	Erik