lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Andraz Skoric <andraz.sko...@medius.si>
Subject Re: how to combine queries?
Date Tue, 06 Apr 2004 10:44:29 GMT
Amrun wrote:

>Thanks for your answers,
>
>I've tried to use the MultiFieldQueryParser and it works quite good. But now
>I need to know how the operators like "+" or AND are working together?
>I have a searchmask at which you can choose e.g. the title, subject, class,
>categoriy, teacher and so on and I need to combine the given keywords.
>Say I want to get all the presentations from the class 5 from the teacher xy
>where the keywords are "security" "lucene" and so on.
>So I would combine the "presentations" with the "5" and teacher "xy" with
>PLUS and the keywords with " "? I don't really know how this operators work
>together.
>Hope someone can help me

Try to use MultiFiledQueryParser I posted yesterday... when I came to
the same problem as you I read that I sould create "virtual" field
keywords or smth like that, but it didn't fit into my app, 'couse I had
same values for different fields. So I created 2 new methods for mapping
one on one for fields and query strings for that fields... I use those
two methods in implementation of advanced search where user can search
onto multiple fields whit condition of finding all or finding anything.
It looks smth like that:

field1: query1
field2: query2
fieldN: queryN

If you need to find all, just use flags with value required and that
works for my case.

Andraz