lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: MultiReader
Date Fri, 02 Apr 2004 18:33:11 GMT
Christoph Goller wrote:
> Looks like a very good design. The only thing I don´t like is that version
> checking and locking in delete() is implementeed twice in SegmentReader and
> SegmentsReader. However, I don´t see another solution since multiple
> inheritence
> is not possible in Java and SegmentsReader should definitely extend
> MultiReader.
> Maybe version checking and locking should be implemented in an
> additional class
> used by SegmentReader and SegmentsReader.

Another approach would be to never use SegmentReader alone, but always
through a SegmentsReader, so that even an optimized index would use a
SegmentsReader.  The overhead of a single-segment SegmentsReader is not
great, and would probbably never significantly impact performance.

> I accidentely stumbled over this one: Shouldn´t we obtain a write lock
> for setNorm too?

Yes.

> If you agree, I could try to do the proposed implementation in the next
> few days. What do you think?

That would be great!

Thanks for catching these problems,

Doug