lucene-dev mailing list archives

Subject Search Expansion
Date Fri, 02 Apr 2004 09:30:47 GMT
Dear all,

I want to do expand a search in order to retrieve
matching XML documents with the help of a domain
taxonomy. That means if someone is specifying a term
high up in the taxonomy it will have lots of

Everything is working fine so far except that Lucene
creates an 'input string too long' error when I ask for
e.g. subject:(term001 ... term800).

I am aware that it is not a usual task for a search
engine to take several hundered terms as input.
Is there a distinct limit (I haven't got the source
yet) and - more important - is there a configuration to
work around ?

If not I would break down the input terms in blocks and
send them to Lucene sequentially...
However I would prefer I I could adjust the limit.

Is search expansion something you as developers are
looking into ?

The ALL NEW CS2000 from CompuServe
 Better!  Faster! More Powerful!
 250 FREE hours! Sign-on Now!