lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Thimal Jayasooriya <thi...@cs.york.ac.uk>
Subject Re: Token declared final ?
Date Tue, 23 Mar 2004 18:03:10 GMT
Hi Doug,

That's brilliant :) I didn't want to use an existing field because I
wasn't sure if there was anything that relied explicitly on type
returning the default "word". There might be a few cases where I would
have liked to store multiple tags (for words with slightly ambiguous
meanings), but I can sort that out. Thanks for the pointer and also for
taking the time to explain.

As a general matter, would anyone else be interested in having POS
information for Tokens ? I use one library which isn't open sourced for
tagging (QTag), but I'd be happy to contribute the interface code if
anyone feels they could use it.

More info on the tools I use can be found here :
http://www-users.cs.york.ac.uk/~thimal/tools.php
If you have or know of an open source tagger, I'd be keen on making my
code play nicely with it too :)

Regards,
Thimal

Doug Cutting wrote:

> The 'type' field of Token would be a good place for Part-of-Speech.
> Does that work for you?  If not, perhaps we should make Token non-final.
>
> As has been discussed before, Lucene uses final for two reasons.  The
> first is historical: long ago it used to make things faster by
> permitting javac to inline things.  The second is that some classes
> are not designed to be subclassed, e.g., subclassing Field or Document
> will generally cause more confusion than it will simplify an
> application. The problem is sometimes determining which case is which.
>
> Doug

<snipped parts of the original mail>

--
Thimal Jayasooriya,