lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Token declared final ?
Date Tue, 23 Mar 2004 17:11:36 GMT
The 'type' field of Token would be a good place for Part-of-Speech.
Does that work for you?  If not, perhaps we should make Token non-final.

As has been discussed before, Lucene uses final for two reasons.  The
first is historical: long ago it used to make things faster by
permitting javac to inline things.  The second is that some classes are
not designed to be subclassed, e.g., subclassing Field or Document will
generally cause more confusion than it will simplify an application.
The problem is sometimes determining which case is which.

Doug