lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-lucene/src/java/org/apache/lucene/store Lock.java
Date Thu, 18 Mar 2004 19:29:35 GMT
otis@apache.org wrote:
>   - Added support for setting various Lucene properties via system properties.

Otis,

Thanks for doing this.

Now we need to get these properties into the documentation.  The easiest
approach is simply to make all of these 'private static final' fields
into 'public static final' fields which then mention the system property
which can be used to override their default.

Also, is Lock.LOCK_DIR actually used?  The diff didn't show that.  Since
this is to be used by FSDirectory, the parameter should probably be in
FSDirectory.java, not Lock.java.  It wouldn't be relevant to, e.g., a
database-based lock implementation.

And when it is used we should permit it to be relative to the index
directory.  So, in FSDirectory, we might have a field like:

   private File lockDir;

and in FSDirectory ctor, add something like:

   lockDir = new File(LOCK_DIR);
   if (!lockDir.isAbsolute()) {
     lockDir = new File(directory, LOCK_DIR);
   }

Then use lockDir when creating lock file names.  This will permit
someone to simply set org.apache.lucene.lockdir to "." to get the old
behaviour where lock files are placed alongside indexes.

Does that makes sense?

Doug