lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: New FieldSortedHitQueue uses Java 1.4 feature
Date Wed, 03 Mar 2004 17:07:29 GMT
Eric Isakson wrote:
> I hadn't heard any discussion about bumping up to Java 1.4 in the Lucene 1.4 release.
Was this just overlooked or are we planning to drop support for pre 1.4 JVMs?

There hasn't been any discussion yet, so, by default, we should still
try to make things work in Java 1.2.

That said, maybe we should have such a discussion.  Folks have been
encountering strange bugs using Lucene in Java 1.3 recently.  There are
some features of Java 1.4 which could be useful, e.g., LinkedHashMap,
for easy implementation of LRU caches, regex support, logging, xml
parsers, etc.  So there are good reasons to move to 1.4.

Are there reasons not to move to 1.4?  1.4 has been out for two years
now, and is pretty stable, but perhaps there are reasons some folks are
still unable to use it.  If so, please speak up.

Doug