lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject ParallelMultiSearcher vs. MultiSearcher
Date Sat, 06 Mar 2004 16:20:17 GMT
Under what conditions would a ParallelMultiSearcher be faster than a
MultiSearcher?  In my brief tests (26 partitioned indexes, all running
local), ParallelMultiSearcher is a factor of 2 or 3 times slower (we're
still talking 20ms versus 60ms though).  I'm searching a partitioned
set of indexes of around 40,000 documents through a RemoteSearchable.

I'm just curious under what circumstances you'd use the new
ParallelMultiSearcher instead of a MultiSearcher?  I saw mention of
multiple hard disk drives being a reason.  Has anyone used it in this
environment and shown that there was a benefit?

Thanks,
	Erik