lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Otis Gospodnetic <otis_gospodne...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: tabs in .java files
Date Fri, 26 Mar 2004 11:46:59 GMT
Does anyone know if Jakarta allows us to set up some scripts that will
check the input (e.g. .java file) on CVS commit?

That _would_ allow us to prevent tabs from being inadvertently
committed.  This could also allow us to catch CRLFs and such, too,
which were introduced in some source files recently.

Tabs currently do mess up indentation in some cases.  That is,
actually, how I realized there was a tab in one of the files.  Looking
at other files revealed that the sources are full of them.

My _guess_ is that tabs creep in via submitted patches.
My suggestion would be for all committers to follow these steps, in
order to avoid tabs and CRLFs:

1. apply patch
2. perl -pi.bak -e 's/\t/  /g' the/patched/file
3. dos2unix the/patched/file
4. cvs commit the/patched/file

Otis