lucene-dev mailing list archives

From karl wettin <ka...@snigel.dnsalias.net>
Subject Re: Too many open files
Date Wed, 10 Mar 2004 10:17:35 GMT
On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 15:32:53 -0700
Dmitry Serebrennikov <dmitrys@earthlink.net> wrote:

> karl wettin wrote:
>
> >I'm getting this exception, and I can't explain it. It only occurs
> >when calling my method that retrieves the content from my index. I
> >get the same exception in 1.2 as in 1.3-final, been searching the web
> >all over the place but can't find anything else than the same problem
> >described, no solution.
> >

> >It takes some 50-100 calls to the method until the exception in
> >thrown. Don't I close the IndexReader correct? Is there anything else
> >I need to close?
> >
> >Greatful for any hints.

> You can tell how many file handles you are allowed to open by your OS
> (looks like some flavor of Unix from the paths that you have
> included).  One way to reduce the number of files Lucene opens is to
> use compound indexes (where each index segment uses a single file).
> Look for this flag on IndexWriter object. You will have to optimize
> existing indexes to convert them.

My file limit was set to "unlimited" when I got the problem, so I
started using .setUseCompoundFile(true) in order to resolve my problem.

Even though I only add new data (no delete) to the index, I started
getting the exception "Lock obtain timed out" after the change above.
Passing on "-DdisableLuceneLocks=true" to java "solved" this problem,
but it does not feel right. I only access Lucene from one JVM, and I
make sure I never write and delete at the same time. Do I have anyhting
to worry about?

--

karl