lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Jamie M <jami...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: New FieldSortedHitQueue uses Java 1.4 feature
Date Wed, 03 Mar 2004 18:25:50 GMT
--- Doug Cutting <cutting@apache.org> wrote:
> Eric Isakson wrote:
> > I hadn't heard any discussion about bumping up to
> Java 1.4 in the Lucene 1.4 release. Was this just
> overlooked or are we planning to drop support for
> pre 1.4 JVMs?
>
> There hasn't been any discussion yet, so, by
> default, we should still
> try to make things work in Java 1.2.
>
> That said, maybe we should have such a discussion.
> Folks have been
> encountering strange bugs using Lucene in Java 1.3
> recently.  There are
> some features of Java 1.4 which could be useful,
> e.g., LinkedHashMap,
> for easy implementation of LRU caches, regex
> support, logging, xml
> parsers, etc.  So there are good reasons to move to
> 1.4.
>
> Are there reasons not to move to 1.4?  1.4 has been
> out for two years
> now, and is pretty stable, but perhaps there are
> reasons some folks are
> still unable to use it.  If so, please speak up.
>
> Doug

I'd be in support of moving to 1.4 if I wasn't
developing for WebSphere.  IBM's WebSphere 4 is in
very wide use and uses 1.3.1.

However, I've already worked around the regexp stuff
in FieldSortedHitQueue by replacing it with
Integer.parseInt(..) and Float.parseFloat(..),
removing the 1.4 depenency. i.e, replaced:

if (pIntegers.matcher(termtext).matches())
    return IntegerSortedHitQueue.comparator (reader,
enumerator, field);

else if (pFloats.matcher(termtext).matches())
    return FloatSortedHitQueue.comparator (reader,
enumerator, field);

with:

try {
   int i = Integer.parseInt(termtext);
   return IntegerSortedHitQueue.comparator (reader,
enumerator, field);
} catch (NumberFormatException e) {}

try {
    float f = Float.parseFloat(termtext);
    return FloatSortedHitQueue.comparator (reader,
enumerator, field);
} catch (NumberFormatException e) {}

regards,

jamie