lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Elschot <>
Subject Re: Queries with only non required terms: not as OR?
Date Tue, 02 Mar 2004 22:19:01 GMT

I read a bit into the source code and I found this comment at

// Also, at this point a
// BooleanScorer cannot be embedded in a ConjunctionScorer, as the hits
// from a BooleanScorer are not always sorted by document number (sigh)
// and hence BooleanScorer cannot implement skipTo() correctly, which is
// required by ConjunctionScorer.

The test function I used assumes that documents will be collected in
order. Could this be the source of the problem?

On Tuesday 02 March 2004 21:48, Paul Elschot wrote:
> Hello,
> I'm trying to implement a query language with ao. AND and OR
> operators for Lucene. I can get the AND operator to work
> by mapping it to a BooleanQuery with only required terms.
> However, when I  try to implement the OR operator by
> mapping it to a BooleanQuery with non required terms,
> it happens that documents that match the AND like query:
> +word1 +word2
> do not match the OR like query:
> word1 word2
> This happens to the very first doc in the test database
> below.
> Strange enough this behaviour is not inconsistent with
> the documentation for BooleanQuery for non required
> terms. From the API java doc: "required means
> that documents which do not match this sub-query will
> not match the boolean query."
> (I'm using the WhitespaceAnalyzer for the queries and for
> indexing the test db.)
> I can only assume that I am doing something wrong.
> What is the right way to implement 'all docs that have
> at least one of'  (ie. OR like) queries in Lucene?
> Thanks,
> Paul

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: