lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Dmitry Serebrennikov <dmit...@earthlink.net>
Subject Re: Lucene 1.1 index with Luncene 1.3
Date Thu, 26 Feb 2004 19:08:53 GMT
I'm not sure about all of the changes since then, but I am (mostly) the
one responsible for the "compound files" change that does away with the
f1, f2, etc files you speak of. That change is backwards compatible in
that it is optional and needs to be turned on by the application (set a
flag on the IndexWriter object). Also, the IndexReader is able to open
either format, so the old indexes will be read just fine even when the
compound files functionality is turned on for new ones. So if you find
any compatibility problems, please e-mail to the list because that would
be a bug.

Hope this helps.
Thanks!
Dmitry.