lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@lucene.com>
Subject Re: coord factor and MultiTermQuery
Date Thu, 05 Feb 2004 21:42:47 GMT
I thought a bit about this when I revised the search code last year.
Before that, Similarity was global: there was only one implementation.
I could think of cases where it might make sense to have it per-query,
but that also seemed too fine-grained, so I opted to make it
per-searcher.  But perhaps it really *should* be possible to specify a
different Similarity implementation for different queries.

Here's a proposal.  We add a method to Query as follows:

   public Query#getSimilarity(Searcher searcher) {
      return searcher.getSimilarity();
   }

Then change all of the Weight and Scorer code to call this in place of
Searcher#getSimilarity().  This permits one to subclass a Query class so
that it can specify it's own Similarity implementation, perhaps one that
delegates through that of the Searcher.

Comments?

Doug