lucene-dev mailing list archives

From "Anand Stephen" <an...@sonic.net>
Subject Re: Escaping lucene key words.
Date Sun, 15 Feb 2004 16:29:32 GMT
----- Original Message -----
From: "Erik Hatcher" <erik@ehatchersolutions.com>
To: "Lucene Developers List" <lucene-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Sunday, February 15, 2004 4:11 AM
Subject: Re: Escaping lucene key words.

> On Feb 14, 2004, at 10:55 PM, Anand Stephen wrote:
> > (i)  Is there an utility method to escape all Lucene keywords.
> > Something along the lines of this method
> >
> > http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/lang/api/org/apache/commons/lang/
> > StringEscapeUtils.html#escapeXml(java.lang.String)
> >
> > (ii)  If the answer to (i)  is yes where can I find it?
> >
> > (iii)  If the answer to (i) is no.
> >     Would it be a good idea to provide Lucene user with a additional
> > utility class(es) in the "util" package that does     work some work
> > like escape chars and any other methods that would make the Lucene
> > user's life even more easier?
> > I am willing to contribute code for this method.
>
> Stephen - where are you feeling the need to have this type of escaping
> with Lucene?  Could you show us where there is a problem?

I was getting a QuerParser exception when even I had a spacial char in the
search phrase which led me to believe that that it was an escaping issuse.
Unfornunately i don't the have the exception stack; wont have access to it
till Tuesday morning, i'll send the stack then. Maybe its not even an
escaping isssue!Thank you for your reply.
-- [as]