lucene-dev mailing list archives

From "Rasik Pandey" <rasik.pan...@ajlsm.com>
Subject RE : RE : BooleanQuery/Clauses with Linked Filters
Date Wed, 25 Feb 2004 16:51:58 GMT
> Its still not entirely clear, but it seems you could accomplish
> what
> you want by putting in some AND TermQuery's in there instead of
> trying
> to use a Filter.  Wouldn't that do what you want?

Ok so the example wasn't as concrete as it should have been and you are right about the fact
that I could add some more sub-queries to get the same effect.

Our particular case concerns adding or doing a "date query" for which we are using a DateFilter.
We were using a DateFilter to represent one of the nested sub-queries, but since that is only
possible at the same level of a complex parent BooleanQuery, this obviously would affect the
results globally instead of respecting the nesting.  Maybe the answer is the RangeQuery? I
need to research that....

In general, what is the performance gain, if any, when using a Filter vs. adding an extra
BooleanClause to retrieve the same results?

RBP