lucene-dev mailing list archives

From "Jamie Stallwood" <jubi...@project76.co.uk>
Subject RE: Lucene's delete feature
Date Mon, 12 Jan 2004 11:23:27 GMT
Hello Albert,

I think you might find this message from Doug Cutting useful.

Jamie

Tate Avery wrote:
> ...I need to know which Lucene operations can cause document ids to
change.

> I am assuming that the following can cause potential changes:
> 	1) Add document
> 	2) Optimize index
>
> What else could cause a document id to change?

Nothing.  And even these can only cause an id to change if there have
been deletions.

> Could delete provoke a doc id change?

Not when you perform the delete.  Later, when you add to or optimize the
index, the ids for deleted documents are reclaimed.

> And, I am assuming that the following DO NOT change the document id:
>
> 	1) Query the index

That is correct.

Document ids never change with an instance of IndexReader.  When you
open a new index reader you should usually assume that ids have changed.

Doug