lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: arbitrary sorting
Date Mon, 26 Jan 2004 18:09:05 GMT
Tim Jones wrote:
> Does anyone have any feedback after looking at the code I submitted for
> sorting results?  Doug and Erik - do you see this as a good way to go, or do
> you have other ideas in mind?  For example, what about creating a special
> kind of "SortingField"?

I like the implementation, requiring an indexed field, but recommending
against storing or tokenizing.  Most other folks (including myself)
who've done this use a stored field and then iterate over documents to
fill the cache.  Instead you're able to fill the cache with a TermDocs,
which is much more efficient.  Good idea!

That said, I've not had a chance to test the code.  But if someone tests
it, and it works well, I see no reason not to include it.

We might rename it something like IntegerSortedSearcher and also add
classes called FloatSortedSearcher, StringSortedSearcher, etc.  These
could all build on a base class, AbstractSortedSearcher.

Doug