lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Dmitry Serebrennikov <dmit...@earthlink.net>
Subject Re: Compound file index issue
Date Thu, 15 Jan 2004 17:48:28 GMT
Bruce Ritchie wrote:

> Red Hat Linux release 9 (Shrike) under their 2.4.20-24.9smp kernel and
> Sun's 1.4.2_03 SDK. We did disable lucene's file based locking
> mechanism since our app is not setup to allow multiple different JVM's
> to write to a single index (one index per JVM) and we've had no end of
> issues with the file based locking. This was done by just setting
> FSDirectory.DISABLE_LOCKS to true;

This is one possible explanation. I have never ran any of the unit tests
without the locks and I have developed and am using the compound index
feature with the file locks on. Perhaps there is a bug that only shows
up when no file locks are present. Could you run the unit tests with the
locks off (hopefully on the same machine, etc, etc)? The unit tests are
fairly extensive for this feature, so perhaps they will find something.

Just curious, what sorts of issues have you experienced with the locks
on? Perhaps that is another clue as to what may be going on because I
have not seen any issues with locking and I don't think many others have.

Dmitry.