lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Compound file index issue
Date Thu, 15 Jan 2004 16:54:51 GMT
Bruce Ritchie wrote:
>> Also, what OS is this running under? This issue is related to
>> filesystem locking behavior which is different between Unix and Windows.
>

> We did disable lucene's file based locking mechanism
> since our app is not setup to allow multiple different JVM's to write to
> a single index (one index per JVM) and we've had no end of issues with
> the file based locking. This was done by just setting
> FSDirectory.DISABLE_LOCKS to true;

Are you reading the index from multiple JVMs?  If so, you still need the
lock files.  Lock files can be disabled only (a) if the index is never
modified; or (b) if it is only accessed from a single JVM.  The latter
case is probably not tested much, and I don't see any reason to rely on it.

Why are you disabling lock files anyway?  Did you have problems with
them?  They don't have a performance impact, and serve to protect you
from problems like this.

Doug