lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Andi Vajda <a...@osafoundation.org>
Subject lucene 1.3 RC3 compiled with gcj
Date Wed, 03 Dec 2003 06:56:34 GMT

I got the latest lucene to compile and run its demo on Linux (redhat 9) and
Mac OS X Panther 10.3.1 using gcc 3.3.2's gcj, compiling to native
executables.

The demo seems to run. I didn't run the unittests since I didn't attempt to
compile junit with gcj yet.

Performance seems way faster than the java VM version but somewhat slower than
clucene's C++ port of lucene, indexing a small set of files. I say somewhat as
my set is not that large and my measurements not very thorough, but here are
some numbers for indexing 116k of text in 14 files, as measured on a Powerbook
1Ghz/1GB running Mac OS X Panther 10.3.1:

  lucene 1.3 RC3 with java 1.4.1: 1169 ms
  lucene 1.3 RC3 with gcj       :  467 ms
  clucene 0.8.9                 :  365 ms

Notes:
   - on OS X, I had to first compile a separate version of gcc 3.3.2 with
     gcj as Apple's 10.3.1 devtools gcc 3.3 doesn't come with gcj.
     In order to build gcc 3.3.2 with gcj on Mac OS X Panther 10.3.1 one has
     to edit gcc 3.3.2's configure.in file and un-disable compilation of
     libgcj for powerpc-*-darwin* around line 528, removing ${libgcj} from
     the noconfigdirs variable.
   - I sent mail to the clucene dev list last night about how to get clucene
     to build on Mac OS X 10.3.1 (a couple of holes to plug).