lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-lucene-sandbox/contributions/lucli/src/lucli Completer.java LuceneMethods.java Lucli.java
Date Thu, 11 Dec 2003 09:04:14 GMT
You beat me to sending a follow-up on this.  Dror sent me his code and
said it was ok to commit.  I propose him as a committer on the sandbox.

I wanted the first commit to be Dror's original code, except that I
added the ASL to the source files.  More comments below....

On Thursday, December 11, 2003, at 03:49  AM, Otis Gospodnetic wrote:
> I haven't tried this code (nice, thanks), yet, but have a few comments.
>
> - message(String) method just prints to System.out, yet there are
> separate /explicit System.out calls.  Shouldn't they all use
> message(String)?

I tried it out and it worked for me, but I did not evaluate the code
much.

> - Should those 2 Jars in lib be in CVS?  Is so, it looks like they got
> missed.  They are mentioned in lib/README.  Maybe we are supposed to
> put them there ourselves, if we want.

Well, <http://java-readline.sourceforge.net/> is LGPL, so I did not
commit it.  I think it is probably ok to add to our CVS, but I'll check
with the PMC before doing so.  I don't really want to get in the habit
of having Lucene's own JAR file in CVS.  I do have plans to clean up
the whole sandbox build process in the near future and will make it
dependent on having jakarta-lucene module nearby too (and the ability
to point it at a pre-built JAR file too, but without it being in CVS).

> - It seems that this is an interactive command line client with a
> required prompt from which you enter commands (didn't try this sw yet,
> so maybe the prompt is not required).  This is nice, but I was
> wondering if the code be modified to also act like most other UNIX
> shell command, without the prompt.  That way I could pipe its output to
> any number of the other useful UNIX commands that read stdin (e.g.
> sort, wc, grep, etc.)

+1  - nice request.

	Erik